I believe they put that section in the code to deal with a code logic error
that gets made when applying the obstruction rules.   (2007 edition
referenced)  If you had a 4'-0" obstruction against the wall with 18" of
clearance, generally people would try and make you put sprinkler heads
underneath it because spray does not reach both sides of the obstruction.
They try and apply 8.6.5.1.2 (b) or 8.6.5.1.2.  The error occurs when they
reference 8.6.5.  Which should not be applied because of 8.5.5.2 & 8.5.5.3.
8.5.5.2 only applies to obstructions within the 18" plane and tells you to
go to 8.6.  The correct section to apply would be 8.5.5.3.  As far as the
water on the floor, what you seeing makes a lot of sense to me.  I never
understood why if its open on top everything is fine. If its solid up to the
ceiling/deck, somehow the area doesn’t get enough water.  Which shouldn’t
really happen, because the sprinkler head cannot spray underneath the
obstruction no matter if it's open above or solid, so it's just the
"pooling" effect that reaches the hazard.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Brad Casterline
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:49 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: stepped obstructions

Thanks Jeremy. I'll have to study this a little more this evening. I was
wondering what difference that top 18" makes, whether open or closed off,
then it is further complicated by SC or EC!
I also measured the Accumulated Mass Per Unit Area of water on the floor
and, when open at the top (4' wide projection) there was a very slightly
less amount of water on the floor, which makes sense, but is negligible.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Frazier [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: stepped obstructions

No that’s not a typo, new section added in 2013.  If you look in your
obstructions, near the start of the section where they talk about 4'-0"
rule, obstruction against the wall rule.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Brad Casterline
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:11 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: stepped obstructions

Well I modeled open on top and closed at the top and got no difference in
activation time or extinguishment time, with standard coverage pendent.
Then I looked at 13-2013 FIGURE A.8.8.5.1.2 (bottom of page 338 in the
handbook), the extended coverage counterpart of FIGURE 8.6.5.1.2, and saw
"No additional protection required when 2 ft or less"!! (For standard
coverage it is 4 ft or less).
Is there a typo somewhere?

Brad Casterline

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Casterline [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:27 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: stepped obstructions

4' if the fascia does not extend up to the ceiling, but stops a minimum of
18" below the ceiling, hence called a projection, otherwise 2'!!
The difference between 13-2013 FIGURE 8.6.5.1.2(c) and FIGURE 8.6.5.1.2 (top
of page 309 in the Handbook) is a real head scratcher. There is not much one
can do, other than model it with hope of ANY additional insight.

Brad Casterline


-----Original Message-----
From: Cahill, Christopher [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:04 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: stepped obstructions

I think you are OK without the sprinkler in the lowest soffit.  But I'm not
sure it's because of that section from the upper most head.  Perhaps from
the lower head in the higher soffit. I always thought the section while
saying protected really is/was an area that wouldn't get water there but was
OK because it was small.  Look at the latest edition too.  I think you can
get up to 4' wide now with soffits without heads under them in some
circumstances and 2' in other.

Chris Cahill, PE*
Associate Fire Protection Engineer
Burns & McDonnell
Phone:  952.656.3652
Fax:  952.229.2923
[email protected]
www.burnsmcd.com
*Registered in: MN


Proud to be #14 on FORTUNE's 2014 List of 100 Best Companies to Work For




-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Todd - Work
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 4:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: stepped obstructions

I have a situation where I have a stepped obstruction against a wall. The
occupancy is Light Hazard. The primary ceiling is 9'. There is a 4' wide
soffit against a wall that is 1' lower. Under that soffit, there is one that
is 1'-10" wide that sticks down an additional 1'. I presently have a
sprinkler in the high area that is 3'-2" from the edge of the higher soffit.


A sprinkler is going to be required under the under the first soffit because
the sprinkler in the high area cannot protect underneath it based on section
8.6.5.1.2(1) (NFPA 13 - 2002). However, the sprinkler in the high area can
protect under the lower soffit per section 8.6.5.1.2(3). Can I install a
sprinkler under the upper soffit and call it a day?

Todd G Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, CT
www.fpdc.com
860-535-2080 (ofc)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com
______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com
______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to