John, why don't we take this in pieces to see how it shakes out.

 * "This is the garage level of a two family home."
     o By the title of the standard, "Standard for the Installation of
       Sprinkler Systems in One- and Two- Family Dwellings and
       Manufactured Homes" it would seem at first glance that NFPA 13D
       would be applicable.
 * "However, the units are stacked on top of each other."
     o So what?  Is there text in NFPA 13D that I'm not reading which
       says if the two-family home is a two-story that 13D is not
       applicable?
 * "Both units share a single lead-in (also shared with domestic)"
     o Again, so what?  Section 6.2.3.1 tells us that the control valve
       shall be permitted to serve the domestic water supply.
     o Review figure A.6.3(d), which clearly indicates a single supply
       serving two units is acceptable.

 * "13D 2010 is pretty clear that garages are not sprinklered."
     o This isn't quite accurate.  The correct phrasing [emphasis mine]
       from section 8.6.4 is that "Sprinklers shall not be _*required*_
       in garages, open attached porches, carports, and similar
       structures." Nothing in the standard says that garages are not
       to be provided with sprinklers.
     o To this end, annex A.8.6.4 gives excellent guidance on how to
       provide fire sprinklers in a garage if the local AHJ requires
       that.  Indeed, as Paul said, many jurisdictions here in
       California certainly do have such a requirement.

 * "Code analysis page references NFPA 13 and not 13D."
     o Well, that's a completely separate issue. What "code analysis"
       are you referring to?  Was it perhaps one on the bid drawings
       done by an architect or engineer of record? I would suggest some
       sort of RFI to clarify that issue, to be sure.  Providing a
       sprinkler system for a building of this nature in accordance
       with NFPA 13 adds an extreme list of potential design criteria
       which don't seem applicable.

 * "Sprinkler “engineered” page calls for 13D and shows no floor
   control on the garage level.'
     o There has to be a control valve serving each of the units per
       6.2.3, which states in part "Where more than one dwelling unit
       is served by the same water supply pipe, each dwelling unit
       shall have an individual control valve that serves the fire
       sprinkler system in that dwelling unit..."

 * "I think at a minimum the storage rooms need sprinklers as the
   garage exception is just for the garage."
     o This may be so, as I doubt such rooms could be considered
       "closets" in the exceptions allowed in 8.6.3.
     o Do keep in mind that if you do provide sprinklers in these
       spaces to follow the guidance in 8.2.5 and 8.2.1.3, and 7.5.4

Let's try this another way, though.  Why do you think -13D isn't the correct standard?

sincerely,

*Ken Wagoner, SET
*Parsley Consulting***
*350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206