I'm not sure the reference to 8.3.8 would apply.

First, John mentioned he was working with the 2010 edition of 13D. That edition doesn't contain this language.

Second, if John were working with the '16 edition then 8.3.8 would not apply in my opinion as the "storage areas" are not exterior, and are only accessed from inside a portion of the dwelling unit.

just my thoughts,
*Ken Wagoner, SET
*Parsley Consulting***
*350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206