Here is an interesting one that came up. When I calculate the volume of a 
commodity, do I include the air inside the box or only the combustible material?
 

 
The product is metal inside a plastic tube inside a cardboard box. The only 
plastic is the tube. There is a lot of air space around it inside the cardboard 
box. If I calculate the full volume of the box, the plastic would be less than 
5% of the volume and be a Class III commodity. If I only include the 
combustible material, the volume of plastic would exceed the 5% (but less than 
the 25%) of volume and it would be a Class IV. Of course the only reason I am 
asking this is that the existing system can provide protection for Class III 
but not for Class IV. Thoughts?  
 
 
 
 Todd G Williams, PE 
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
 
Stonington, CT
 
860-535-2080 (tel:860-535-2080)  (ofc)
 
860-554-7054 (tel:860-554-7054)     (fax)
 
860-608-4559 (tel:860-608-4559)  (cell)
 
 
 
 

 
     
_________________________________________________________
SprinklerForum mailing list:
https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to