Rick Morrison wrote:

> I keep two versions of SA installed here, one is a stable
> version installed in the Python site-packages folder, and one
> is current trunk with some local patches for testing.
>
> I used to be able to run tests and programs using the local
> version by just inserting the local directory into the Python
> path, and imports would then use that.
>
> I've recently upgraded to setuptools 0.6c5 and that doesn't
> seem to work anymore -- I now always get the version from the
> site-packages folder.
>
> Anyone running this kind of configuration out there run into
> something like this?

The way I've done this is to run 'python setup.py develop' in the SVN
checkout. This puts the path to the checkout in easy-install.pth, and it
also creates an SQLAlchemy.egg-link file with the same path - I don't
know what this is used for.

To go back to the stable version I run 'easy_install -U SQLAlchemy'.
This seems to work on both Windows and Linux, but I am only on
setuptools 0.6c3.

This is probably more complicated than it needs to be - I would have
thought you can switch just by editing the easy-install.pth file.

The correct way is probably to use setuptools' --multi-version switch,
and put pkg_resources.require() somewhere in your application, but I've
not used that yet.

Another thing that I've found very useful (on Linux) is this:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#creating-a-virtual-p
ython

Particularly with fast-moving projects like SQLAlchemy and TurboGears,
trying to share a single copy of a library between multiple applications
without breaking them every time I upgraded the library was getting
tricky. There's also working-env:

 http://blog.ianbicking.org/workingenv-update.html

which I haven't tried yet, but has the advantage of working on Windows
(apparently).

Hope that helps,

Simon