> > put a file "aaaa-pythonpath.pth" into your site_packages folder:
> >
> > import os, sys; sys.__egginsert=len(os.environ.get('PYTHONPATH',
> > '').split(os.pathsep));
> duly noted for future usage _when_ i meet an egg.

workingenv, as Simon King mentioned, is the way to go.  At my company
we share a dev server which has lots of stuff complied for us but for
true isolated development, each developer needs his own python sandbox
to make egg links to all modules in progress.

$ sudo easy_install workingenv.py

$ python -m workingenv --site-packages ~/temp-py
$ source ~/temp-py/bin/activate

and now you can run `python setup.py develop` without sudo on any
package and it will only be available in that env, with a fallback to
site-packages for modules you haven't installed.  And of course you
can have as many of these as you want.

Some things I've run into... when setuptools gets upgraded (why a
workingenv feature isn't built into setuptools, who knows) sometimes
you need to remove the setuptools egg and rebuild your workingenv the
same way you built it

$ python -m workingenv --site-packages ~/temp-py

this will not disturb any eggs or egg-links in your env.

The only alternative (quoted above) that I know is to hack your python
install (which I also did before workingenv).  I still find workingenv
easier, tho not ideal.

I should also note that this was a perfect way to set up multiple
buildbot builders on our server.