> Well, I don't really see the connection between .scalar() and .list(),
> other than they are kind of antonyms, but FWIW I always thought that .list()
> was an odd duck anyway, seeing as how the arguably more Pythonic list(query)
> works fine.

(expanding on this a bit)

More generally, it's the iterative nature of a query object that makes a lot
of the .first() and so on more semantic sugar than anything else anyway.
I'll routinely write things like:

    for row in query:
        process(row)
or
    results = [process(r) for r in query]

instead of:
    results = query.list()
    for row in results:
        process(row)

I would even be OK with losing all the .select() and .first() and etc.
completely and deal with queries using a library of function STL-like
first-order functions like

   first(query)
   one(query)
   etc.