> >> query(class).from_statement(your select) ?
> >
> > i tried it, my_select would be something which the NP mapper does
> > itself now, e.g. select( [class_join],
> > base.c.type=='classname')... naah, as i see from srccode this
> > misses the whole compile() stuff. i want to be able to do
> > additional filtering, ordering, whatever a query can do.
> > Note i said the starting query, not the final query...
>
> what part of the selecting from are you looking for to be replaced
> ? the columns clause ?  or the criterion ?  compilation wants to
> add all the columns from the mapper's table, want to make that
> optional ?

hmm. i think need the compilation, while from_statement avoids it (in
0.3.9).

i see 3 steps in executing a query:
 1. get the mapper, which will be used to construct objects from raw
column data
 2. get the mapper's select_table (default or not) as starting point
for the query clauses
 3. (if any) add all other query.tweaks() - .filter, .order_by, .join,
.whatever, which customize (and probably narrow) the query further and
further.
i want step 2's Selectable replaced with something else, columns and
clause.
e.g. primary mapper has a default select_table of polymunion over 20
subclasses, while i want a single
base1.join(base2).join(my_table).select(base1.c.type='mytable') for
just one of them.

what i have dome with NPs is similar to your surrogate_mapper, but in
opposite direction.
If all this default-selection-aspect of the mapper can be overriden,
NPs will be needed only in rare cases, e.g. different entities etc.