On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:14:52 +0200
"Christophe de VIENNE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the same process, and very interested in the answer !
>
> One idea I had is to define an universal dump format, (based for
> example on pytables), which could be used to backup and restore datas
> from/to various databases.
> If this way is a good one and a good implementation proposed, it could
> become an interesting addon to SA.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christophe
>
> 2007/7/24, Paul Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am migrating an Access database to MSSQL server. I have coded up
> > basic Access support for SQLAlchemy, which I'll be commiting to the
> > 0.4 branch shortly.
> >
> > Using autocode, I now have a set of SQLAlchemy table definitions. My
> > question is: what's a good way to move all the data across?
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Paul

With all due respect for the brilliance of SQLAlchemy.. it is not an
operating system and not a database.

Maybe I am missing the point here, but, in the two hours it took to get
a reply to the OP, one could have output from one db (to csv) and
import to the other one.  Another alternative is to actually use the db
functionality.  MSAccess and MSSQL both start with 'MS'.  If I am not
mistaken, those are interoperable.  One can set up a 'link' and
transfer the data, no?  It has been years, but I remember doing that.

Moving data in/out of disparate data sources is a pretty common data
wharehouse process.  And if they are large datasets, native 'bulk'
transfers are fastest.  All of which can be automated... without
intervention from the application layer.  (was that blasphemy?)

--

michael