Hi

2007/7/24, michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:14:52 +0200
> "Christophe de VIENNE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the same process, and very interested in the answer !
> >
> > One idea I had is to define an universal dump format, (based for
> > example on pytables), which could be used to backup and restore datas
> > from/to various databases.
> > If this way is a good one and a good implementation proposed, it could
> > become an interesting addon to SA.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Christophe
> >
> > 2007/7/24, Paul Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am migrating an Access database to MSSQL server. I have coded up
> > > basic Access support for SQLAlchemy, which I'll be commiting to the
> > > 0.4 branch shortly.
> > >
> > > Using autocode, I now have a set of SQLAlchemy table definitions. My
> > > question is: what's a good way to move all the data across?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help,
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> With all due respect for the brilliance of SQLAlchemy.. it is not an
> operating system and not a database.
>
> Maybe I am missing the point here, but, in the two hours it took to get
> a reply to the OP, one could have output from one db (to csv) and
> import to the other one.  Another alternative is to actually use the db
> functionality.  MSAccess and MSSQL both start with 'MS'.  If I am not
> mistaken, those are interoperable.  One can set up a 'link' and
> transfer the data, no?  It has been years, but I remember doing that.
>
> Moving data in/out of disparate data sources is a pretty common data
> wharehouse process.  And if they are large datasets, native 'bulk'
> transfers are fastest.  All of which can be automated... without
> intervention from the application layer.  (was that blasphemy?)

I see no blasphemy, but that does not exactly address my personal
issue (which is not exactly the same as Paul it seems).
I will have, in a few months, clients running my software on mysql,
other on mssql. I want to have a common backup format, so I can
restore any backup on any supported db, and all that should be doable
by a "Toto User" (toto=dummy).
Having it in the application layer allow me do to that. And since I
hate to re-do things, my approach will most probably to use SA to dump
and restore the datas, even if it's a bit slow (the databases are not
very big), and it will always be possible to optimize the process by
doing db-specific operations.
The pytables format looks attractive for this use because it's fast,
scalable, compresses the datas, and have generic viewer.

My experience with SA is still a bit light, and I might say stupid
things without seeing it, but that's the general idea.

My two cents :-)

Regards,

Christophe