> >btw: why is the 'text_as_varchar=1' considered only if it is in
> > url (see mssql.py create_connect_args()) and not if it is in the
> > connect_args argument to create_engine()?
>
> Fair question, and the short answer is because that's all I needed.
> We did have a discussion about unifying create_engine args and URL
> params, but it turns out there are a few gotchas. We could allow
> specification in both places - is this important to you?
not really important, we dig it out already, but it would be more sane
if power(connect_args) >= power(url_args), that is, connect_args is
the more general/powerful/ way, and url allows a subset (or all) of
connect_args items; and not vice versa -- connect_args is the
programatical way, so that should do _everything_..