> The limitation here I guess is 30 char identifier limit but I will
> need to test it.

Ah yeah, you're going to have bigger problems than 30 char identifiers with
the Sybase TDS settings. MSSQL uses a different set of wire-protocol
representations of datetime types, and your dates are going to be off.

> In order to use more characters the FreeTDS should be configured to
> use TDS protocol 7.0 which:

Even that one is old: MSSQL switched to TDSv7 back in MSSQL 7.0 (circa 1997)
They're now on TDSv8 as of MSSQL-2000

Here's a chart:

http://www.freetds.org/tds.html

It beats me why FreeTDS still defaults to Sybase instead of MSSQL, the
installed base has to run at least 100 to 1 in favor of MSSQL. Oh well.

When you get all this set up correctly, you may want to update the
sqlalchemy wiki with all this stuff.