> Here are the options as specified by free TDS. What you are talking
> about is setting it in conf file which is used only for dsn
> connection.

No, I meant as the *default* TDS version here. See here:

   http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm

I'm talking about the [global] setting, which is the default used unless
overridden in a different [dataserver] config.

> here is what freetds said:
> to use TDS 7.0 in a DSN-less connection, your options are:
>
> 1.  Rebuild FreeTDS --with-tdsver=7.0, or
> 2.  Set the environment variable TDSVER=7.0 before starting Python, or
> 3.  Add "TDS_Version=7.0;" to your connection string.
> 4.  Use "Servername" in your connection string.

or 5. Change the default version to the desired version

options 3 seems the easies to me.

OK. I'm just suggesting that if you'd rather specify the version in the
dburi instead of changing it on the server, that we allow the specification
of the ODBC connect string directly, rather than provide a bunch of separate
parameters that are in turn only used to build an ODBC connection string
anyway.

Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, you should most likely be
using TDS version 8.0, not 7.0.

7.0 is for SQL Server 7,
8.0 is for SQL Server 2000 and 2005

Rick