On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Rick Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Here are the options as specified by free TDS. What you are talking
> > about is setting it in conf file which is used only for dsn
> > connection.
>
> No, I meant as the *default* TDS version here. See here:
>
>    http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm

The way I read the comment from freetds

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/freetds/2008q2/023126.html

connection string:
cnxn = pyodbc.connect("SERVER=xxx;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;DRIVER={TDS};TDS_Version=7.0")

Connecting this way does not read the freetds.conf, it goes directly
to the driver.

> I'm talking about the [global] setting, which is the default used unless
> overridden in a different [dataserver] config.

I have changed it in the global settings and it made no difference. It
was only when I emailed them I have found out that the way we connect
is not using freetds.conf. So in order to get the higher version I
would have to recompile freetds.

> > here is what freetds said:
> > to use TDS 7.0 in a DSN-less connection, your options are:
> >
> > 1.  Rebuild FreeTDS --with-tdsver=7.0, or
> > 2.  Set the environment variable TDSVER=7.0 before starting Python, or
> > 3.  Add "TDS_Version=7.0;" to your connection string.
> > 4.  Use "Servername" in your connection string.
> >

> or 5. Change the default version to the desired version
Not if you use direct connection. It would if we used ?dsn=....

> OK. I'm just suggesting that if you'd rather specify the version in the
> dburi instead of changing it on the server, that we allow the specification
> of the ODBC connect string directly, rather than provide a bunch of separate
> parameters that are in turn only used to build an ODBC connection string
> anyway.

I don't see an easy option to change it. If it was as easy as changing
freetds.conf then I would do it, but its not.

> Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, you should most likely be
> using TDS version 8.0, not 7.0.

Thanks,
I'll use 8.0

Lucas