just two seconds ago someone asked about sticking a JSON plugin in
SQLAlchemy (this looks essentially like JSON to me).    is the
"extension" proposal something that builds in using MapperExtension ?
it seems like people are just looking for json-like functions for
things (which is handy, though not an SA-core kind of feature).