On Mon, 2008-14-04 at 10:26 -0400, Michael Bayer wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Paul Johnston wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In my case, the data is coming from FormEncode. I guess it could
> > come from JSON, but that would be JSON client to server, which is
> > not the usual way round.
>
> JSON is just an object encoding, in my mind it has no implications
> regarding clients/servers.
>
> > The proposal is for a standalone function, I'm thinking you'd do
> > something like:
> >
> > from sqlalchemy.ext.proc_hash import proc_hash
> > proc_hash(myobj, mydata)
> >
> > As this is just plumbing python data structures into database
> > objects, I think it's fitting to the SA-core goals.
> >

> the function so far seems pretty use-case specific.  (only works in
> one direction, is hardcoded to the "obj.mapper" convention, sort of
> "looks" like JSON but isn't, etc.)  Even if it were JSON I dont think
> thats an SA core feature.

But would still be useful to a lot of folks like me. Would it possibly
be worth having extension-extensions? Like recommended extras or
something that aren't in the SA core? I totally respect keeping the core
lean and maintainable, but maybe a cookbooky section of the site with
extras or something?

just a thought!
Iain