> if you'd like to specify a value generator for the columns, just use a
> ColumnDefault.  Whatever function or SQL you like will be called if no
> value is present - its just in this case we can't rely upon SQLite's
> OID generation.

Thanks - I'll look into that.  I just have to figure out how to make
ColumnDefault dialect dependent.

> I wouldn't favor a built in system of "guessing" within the sqlite
> dialect how to autoincrement a composite PK field without explicit
> user intervention.

Why not?  Is it really guessing when the table has been defined
precisely within SQLA?  If you have a Column that has been defined to
be an Integer primary key that is supposed to autoincrement, and you
are using sqlite... how could you be wrong?  The worst case I can
think of is if sqlite changes in the future to actually support it, in
which case you'd either change the dialect or get an error.  No?

> The dialects don't intend to build a completely
> uniform layer over all database backends (for example, when using
> Oracle, you are required to set up a default generator, usually a
> Sequence, in all cases) - the idea of a dialect's default behavior is
> that it uses what the database backend provides by default and that's
> it.

But at the same time the dialect is also abstracting out many of the
annoying backend type differences.  I thought that a big part of SQLA
was going to be allowing the use of any back end.  Maybe I'll have to
re-evaluate my approach... more likely I'll just keep plugging away
and see what obstacles I hit!