Hi,

I don't think that is a very workable strategy in the long run :( There
> are far to many bogus restrictions in some databases, e.g. Oracle, for
> any meaningful program to
> be written to work on all platforms w/o support/wrapping/hiding of ugly
> details by SA.

This is often a difficulty for libraries that provide a portable layer over
different implementations. GUI toolkits are a good example. The library
essentially has three choices:
1) Only expose functionality that exists on all the implementations
2) Expose the user to the slight differences between implementations
3) Expose consistent functionality, and where an implementation lacks
support, fake it
In practice, (1) is usually a poor option as it's too restrictive.
SQLAlchemy currently takes approach (2). There is definitely consistency
merit for approach (3), but it comes at a cost - there's more "magic" going
on, which could be confusing in some circumstances.

Paul