On Friday 13 June 2008 16:34:47 Paul Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think that is a very workable strategy in the long run :(
> There
>
> > are far to many bogus restrictions in some databases, e.g.
> > Oracle, for any meaningful program to
> > be written to work on all platforms w/o support/wrapping/hiding
> > of ugly details by SA.
>
> This is often a difficulty for libraries that provide a portable
> layer over different implementations. GUI toolkits are a good
> example. The library essentially has three choices:
> 1) Only expose functionality that exists on all the implementations
> 2) Expose the user to the slight differences between
> implementations
> 3) Expose consistent functionality, and where an
> implementation lacks support, fake it
> In practice, (1) is usually a poor option as it's too restrictive.
> SQLAlchemy currently takes approach (2). There is definitely
> consistency merit for approach (3), but it comes at a cost -
> there's more "magic" going on, which could be confusing in some
> circumstances.
i think there's something 2.5, allow user to make his own
support/settings, let him take the decision - preferences-like; e.g.
a widget with a set of general attributes and several sets of
implementation-dependent extra attributes, switched depending on
implementation - the user can setup them all.

well maybe i got a mix of all them 3, for different aspects.
e.g. if oracle db will disallow me to use my 50-long names, i'll
mangle them somewhere in the middle, but will not allow such
meaningless restriction to cripple all the model above.
while for other things i just surrender and dont use the features...