> And a related question:  What is the general feeling on how well
> SQLA abtstracts the underlying database away?  Am I expecting too
> much to be able to write my application using SQLA-only from the
> beginning and have it work on any of the popular databases without
> much tweaking?
YMMV. it is actualy you who break things. e.g. if u dont rely much on
specific SQldialect notions, or better, on specific SQL notions,
you'r settled.
i've made dbcook over SA and ever since the team have forgotten about
what SQL is, except some veeeeery tricky things which has to be SQL
aware, as they rely on DB-structure being what it is. But dialects...
only come to play when something is not supported, and my way of
handling this so far is to avoid using any stuff that is not
supported everywhere - workaround on lowe or higher level, including
model refactoring.