On Dec 10, 3:05 pm, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> this is just my 2c, im not here to say how it should be done or not.
> I would think that the standard SQLA host/port connect pattern should
> work as well if we just are aware of what kind of client library we're
> talking to.   If we can't autodetect that, then we just use a keyword
> argument "?connect_type=FreeTDS".   We can document all the different
> "connect types" somewhere and just adapt to all the newcomers that
> way.   With DSN being the default.   I definitely do not want to start
> allowing raw connect strings through create_engine() - if you need to
> do that, use the creator() function.

As Rick said, autodetection of this stuff is error-prone.

Maybe 'connect_type' can work, but I'd want to get all the mssql/
pyodbc folks on board before that got finalized. I don't know enough
about FreeTDS to stand behind any configuration and say that it should
work in all cases. If connect type is decided as the right approach,
though, then I will work something up for that.

> Whats the status of 0.5, is DSN the default in trunk now ?

DSN is the first choice in MSSQLDialect_pyodbc.make_connect_string
right now.

Thanks to Rick, Mike and Lukasz for helping me out and weighing in on
this.