On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Rick Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Whats the status of 0.5, is DSN the default in trunk now ?
>>
>> DSN is the first choice in MSSQLDialect_pyodbc.make_connect_string
>> right now.
>
> That's not what I see. I just pulled the 0.5 trunk, which I haven't been
> tracking lately. Still uses the 'dsn' keyword build a connection string with
> DSN, otherwise defaults to the former dsn-less connection string behavior.
>
> What Mike is taking about is an idea initially advanced by Marc-Andre
> Lemburg to make the 'host' portion of the dburl to represent a DSN for
> pyodbc connections (any supplied database name would be ignored) for the 0.5
> trunk, and have the existing dsn-less connection behavior become a
> keyword-only kind of thing.
>
> I made a patch for that many moons ago, but never committed it; it makes a
> lot of sense, and the 0.5 release would be an appropriate time to introduce
> this kind of compatibilty-breaking behavior.

Rick, Michael could you guys give me an example of the connection string then?
If I understand this correctly:
You guys are saying that dsn=... would replace the host:port or
host,port,databasename?

Would this change allow to supply odbc options just like I can
currently with "TDS_version=7.0" which can only be supplied at a
connection?
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcconnattr.htm

I'm not clear as far as what functionality you guys want to break:

>From pyodbc docs the following are the connection strings so it would
seem to me that these could be fairly easy to create based on dsn= or
not in a sqlalchemy connection string. Unless I'm way of topic then
just let me know.

cnxn = pyodbc.connect("DSN=dsnname;UID=user;PWD=password")
or
cnxn = pyodbc.connect('DRIVER={SQL
Server};SERVER=server;DATABASE=database;UID=user;PWD=password)

Thanks,
Lucas