On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:
> that's a lot of effort there.  How confident are you that memory and
> references are handled correctly in the .c code?

Quite. It's not my first C extension. But, truly, C is complex.

> That's a lot of C code, and it took years for us to iron out all the memory
> leaks in the existing C extensions that we had - the original author
> eventually stopped maintaining them, and I had to take it all on myself and
> spend weeks learning the code and ironing out remaining, subtle issues (like
> http://hg.sqlalchemy.org/sqlalchemy/rev/8326 and
> http://hg.sqlalchemy.org/sqlalchemy/rev/8140).   These are very insidious
> issues as they can't be diagnosed by usual gc reference counting.

There's an answer to those problems that I hesitated proposing, but
you might want to consider: Pyrex. Or Cython. Take your pick. They
*generate* C code, so it's be rather simple to replace the C
extensions with them, and they look a lot more like python, and are a
lot more fool-proof. Really, Pyrex is made for this kind of work. It's
begging you.

It's only the cost of an extra dependency (and the learning curve,
which is there, but faaaaar flatter than C's).