On Jan 28, 2014, at 3:37 PM, a_t_smith <amos.t.sm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see a way to plumb these cx_Oracle features into sqlalchemy user
> defined types since they depend on cx_Oracle connection and cursor types.

as far as oracle curs.callproc(), SQLAlchemy has no support for that.  if
that’s all you need to call, you might want to just keep that at the cursor
level (e.g. cursor = connection.connection.cursor()) ; there’s not a lot of
parity with that calling style vs. what other backends like Postgresql use so
I’m not sure what an abstracted version might look like.

Any kind of treatment you need calling curs.arravar() or similar would for now
probably be part of execution context.  We do this for oracle OUT parameters if
you look at cx_oracle.py.   There should probably be some more hooks added to
TypeEngine for types or SQL elements that need to set up special context using
the given cursor.