Are there some white papers or examples of how to do updates in
parallel using sqlite?

I have a large dataset in sqlite that I need to process outside of
sqlite and then update the sqlite database.  The process looks
something like this:

sqlite3 -separator $'\t' sample.db 'select rowid, item from foo;' |
while read rowid item ; do
  status=$(long_running_process "${item}" )
  sqlite3 sample.db "update foo set status=${status} where rowid=${rowid} ;"
done

Because long_running_process takes a long time, I could speed up the
overall time by running more than one long_running_process at the same
time.  One way to do this would be to segment the data and run a
separate process on each segment.  For the update each process would
collect the status data "outside" of the sample.db, e.g in a separate
database.  When all the processes have finished, the parent process
would attach the separate databases and update the original database.
When all is done, the parent process would clean up the ancillary
databases.

I was just wondering if there are other ways to do this that I may be
overlooking.

Thanks in advance to pointers to any references.

Regards,
- Robert