On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Tim Romano <tim.romano...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> It's not clear to me how this is a result of scripting language support:
>
> "Another problem with it is that sooner or later you need your inner
> language (your SQL engine) to have access to your outer environment, for
> example, to find out if you have lots of filespace free."
>
> Could you please elaborate?
>
> The ability to declare FOREIGN KEYS and TRANSACTIONS are not what I had in
> mind when I used the phrase "scripting language". I am thinking of
> full-blown procedural logic integrated with the RDBMS. The foremost example
> that comes to mind is VBA in MS-Access, though many other examples are
> available, e.g. Revelation, Borland Paradox, or even java in Oracle.

You do it the other way around... instead of embedding a scripting
language inside SQLite (which would convert it to
SQLVeryHeavyAndCumbersomeAndLikelyToBlowUp), you embed sqlite inside a
scripting language. See how elegantly this is done with Perl and
DBD::SQLite which embeds its own sqlite engine in the perl module.
Similar products exist for Tcl and Python and other languages.

.. <snipped> ..

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org