On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Tim Romano <tim.romano...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am aware that SQLite supports
>> loadable extensions, but would the SQLite architecture also permit the
>> integration of an interpreted scripting language?   An integrated scripting
>> language makes an already powerful database engine orders of magnitude more
>> useful especially when one is solving ad hoc data problems requiring very
>> rapid turnaround.
>>

> See http://www.sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html for the original.  SQLite began
> life as a TCL extension.  In fact, we often think of SQLite as a TCL
> extension that escaped into the wild.
>
> The integration between TCL and SQLite is very tight.  If you know where to
> look, you will see that many features of SQLite were designed specifically
> to support integration with TCL.
>
> An example of TCL using SQLite:
>
>  db eval {SELECT name FROM people WHERE personid=$personid} {
>     puts name=$name
>  }

If I understand correctly what is being illustrated here then the
sqldf package in R (http://sqldf.googlecode.com) has a similar
facility.  For example. from the R command line:

> # installs everything needed into R
> install.packages("sqldf")
>
> # loads everything needed into R workspace
> library(sqldf)
>
> # create R data frame (similar concept to an SQL table)
> DF <- data.frame(a = 1:3, b = 4:6)
>
> # the next statement notices that DF is an R data frame,
> # it automatically creates an sqlite data base in memory,
> # sets up table definition for DF by issuing create table stmt,
> # loads DF into the sqlite data base,
> # performs the query returning a new data frame
> # and deletes the sqlite data base
>
> sqldf("select * from DF where a < 3")
  a b
1 1 4
2 2 5

The actual interfaces between R and sqlite is in the DBI and RSQLite R
packages and sqldf sits on top of those.  The RSQLite package also
includes a copy of sqlite.  Installing and loading sqldf automatically
installs and loads its dependencies.