I'm currently dealing with a similar issue. I've found that the page_size
PRAGMA setting can have a dramatic effect on how long it takes to "warm up"
the table. On Windows 7, with page_size=1024, a SELECT COUNT(last_column)
takes 40.2 seconds. page_size=4096 takes 15.5 seconds. page_size=8192 takes
8.5 seconds. This was done with a reboot between each test.

This page recommends a page_size of 4096:
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=PerformanceTuningWindows

If I see better performance with the larger page sizes (going to test 16384
and beyond after this) is there any reason not to use them?

Greg