I performed the following steps:

1) Checked out the latest local copy using the command 'fossil update'
2) I opened a Visual Studio command prompt, changed into the tools
installer folder and executed the command MSBuild Installer.2008.csproj
3) I changed into the root/bin/2008/Debug/bin folder and executed the
following one line command:

Installer.exe -install true -wow64 true -installFlags All -tracePriority
Lowest -verbose true -noCompact true -noNetFx40 true -noVs2008 true
-noVs2010 true -whatIf false -confirm true

This then popped up an error message dialogue box stating:

Invalid core file image runtime version.