In windows, I believe you want to use the "function level linking"
option to get it to drop the most functions when they aren't used.
Particularly for the amalgamation, I think this will give you the
tightest link. By default, I believe the optimization only operates on
compilation units, meaning the amalgamation would always include
everything in the link stage.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xsa71f43(v=vs.80).aspx

SS> On 27 Jun 2012, at 1:48am, Stephen Chrzanowski <pontia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> When you compile the amalgamation with your source code, doesn't the
>> compiler reject/not include/remove/doesn't consider the code that could
>> have been generated from the actual final build?  In other words, if you
>> just have one function being used out of 10,000 functions, the final binary
>> would only include the code for that single function and not the 10,000?

SS> Your compiler will probably be set to do optimization.  It will
SS> not include any functions which are not called.

SS> Simon.

Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:t...@djii.com