Ok, we're getting somewhere now.  I typed /usr/local/bin/sqlite3 -version and
got 3.6.11.

But when i typed sqlite3 --version i get 3.4.

So it must be a path issue.  This is my first experience with PATH.  I know
I need to change my path, but I don't know what is missing from it that is
giving me the issue.  I'll google for help on this but any suggestions would
be appreciated.

thanks all again for your help!

then type sqlite3 -version. If you still get 3.4.0, your path is wrong.