On 3/19/09 11:35 PM, "P Kishor" <punk.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> why make things so difficult for yourself?
>
> download the amalgamation source code and untar/unzip it somwhere.
>
> type ./configure followed by make && sudo make install
>
> this will put your sqlite libraries under /usr/local/
>
> type /usr/local/bin/sqlite3 -version and see if you get 3.6.11
>
> then type sqlite3 -version. If you still get 3.4.0, your path is wrong.
>
> Google for how to set the correct path for your shell.
>
> The whole operation should take about 15 mins from start to finish
> (and that includes the initial download times).
>
> don't screw around with macports and fink and other such complications
> when they are not needed.

May I humbly suggest that your way is both more difficult and less general
than using MacPorts?

With MacPorts installed, it's one command:

    sudo port install sqlite3

That's it.

Granted, if MacPorts is not installed, you have to install it first. It
implies modifying the PATH once, and even then, in most cases, the installer
does it for you.

I will not lecture on the many other advantages of MacPorts. Maybe only one
thing. To keep all installed ports up to date, simply do:

    sudo port selfupdate

I don't use Fink, but I suspect this applies to Fink too.

Respectfully,

Jean-Denis