On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> The problem is not in coding it -- that's relatively easy.  The problem is
> in who would use it.  I think that would be mostly people who already use
> PHP to write a backend data server.  The advantage of this is that it can be
> done using just the hugely popular and tested Apache: it already has SQLite
> built in.
>
> On the other hand, Apache is huge, complicated and hard to test.  A minimal
> kit including just HTTP and SQLite would be smaller and simpler and
> therefore more in the spirit of SQLite.

I must respectfully disagree with the statement that Apache is huge and
complicated, but I guess it is all relative...

I am a MicroISV that is using Apache, Axis2/C, PHP5, and SQLite for my
backend.  All three are installed with the .Net frontend that configures the
site, and the install package (minus the Microsoft Runtime that are also in
there) is about 5 megs in size.  Given all the extra features of Apache, it
is a VERY powerful system.  Learning how to configure Apache is pretty easy
for basic things, learning to write Apache modules is pretty easy too.
Granted it isn't one physical file, but it can be installed with a simply
file copy, assuming you have something to create the config file.  I have a
template of the config file as a resource of the .net program, it updates
all the paths and stuff accordingly, then starts the server.  Real straight
forward and simple, but with tons and tons of power and a VERY battle
hardened web server!

Sam