As others have said, you don't need to install 7.7.6 first. You can
install 8.* straight away. One thing you don't mention is do you want
LMS to run as a service or just a task. I think during install it asks
if you want LMS to start with the system (this would be as a service) or
when user logs in (this will run as a regular Win10 task) or "Don't
start automatically" (This should leave the tray icon gray and you would
have to manually start LMS by single clicking the tray icon and select
"Start Logitech Media Server"). On the LMS Control panel it is normal to
get the red warning if you don't right click the LMS icon and pick "Open
control panel as Administrator". The control panel also has a setting
for what to do when you double click the tray icon. I think most of us
on Win10 pick the "Open Web Remote Control on doubleclicking the tray
icon".

Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.2.0 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and
Squeeseslave
Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.2.0 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model
B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD
card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)