agbagb wrote:
> Mind you, I've had the blue-screen-of-death on Madame's Mac twice last
> year!  And her iPhone's power management is presently a pain in the a**
>
> That LMS taskbar icon thing in Windows is a puzzle to me - and not just
> LMS.  Mostly it's "just there" - but sometimes (especially after a Win
> update) it isn't, and has to be manually pushed up.
>
> BTW, I am thinking of going Pi myself when we next move house (which
> should be this year.....) and I want a serious redesign; so I'm always
> happy to hear happy users' tales!  My only hesitation is a lurking sense
> that the whole LMS word - dearly though I love it - may start to get
> really toublesome as more router upgrades and redesigns roll into
> service. We shall see.
>
> Hope we hear from the OP again soon - my money is on something in
> retained preferences having got corrupted.  But it's so easy (under
> Windows!!!!) to think that a re-istall is completely clean, and to find
> that in fact it isn't....

As someone posted above the issue is most likely Windows UAC. Microsoft
introduced a new level inside W10 at some point and it’s not at all
clear to the average Joe how it works.
However if you install by right clicking the installer and choosing “Run
as Administrator” then LMS should install as a service correctly.
Often users who are “Administrators” think this step isn’t necessary but
it is. Google - Elevated privileges.

I use Windows PCs as my main work machines and admin networks full of
them and I would choose Windows over a Linux desktop every time but for
LMS I’m strictly Linux or piCorePlayer these days and have been for
years. Most server side software runs better on Linux imo. It’s more
stable and OS upgrades happen when I want them to not at the whim of
some bloke in Redmond.
Just my 2p

Jim
https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* Joggler & Pi4/Khadas  -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s

*Office* Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
*Dining Room* SB Radio
*Bedroom (Bedside)* Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom* SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s +
Kef ceiling speakers
*Guest Room* Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes