agbagb wrote:
> As a dedicated Windows user, I don't have much to add to what's already
> been said as to trying a completely clean install of the latest LMS
> version.  But I would add this - I've used LMS and Squeezeboxes of one
> sort or another for *decades* on Windows (currently 11) with hardly any
> problems whatsoever.  So, while I in no way decry the moves some make to
> Pi systems etc, there is currently no reason whatever why you should not
> get a fully working, fully reliable, PC-based LMS world.  It's annoying
> to you (and others here!) that it's not working for you just now - but
> the issue is just not inherent to Windows, as some seem sometimes to
> suggest.....

I agree 100% with most of this, but if your comment at the end that
"some seem to suggest" Windows is the problem is just not true. Every
post suggested that a clean install should work, but maybe getting the
tray icon would take a bit of twiddling, but as @gordon b3 suggested
(and others as well) the tray icon is irrelevant. Before i ditched
running LMS on windows, I do remember this icon disappearing as well. It
might have been because of an update, or win 7 to win 10, can't
remember, but I have seen what the OP reports. But it just doesn't
matter.

I apologize if my disdain for windows led anyone to think that I was
saying that the OS was the culprit. It was not my intent, but <as I get
up on my soapbox> I am sure there are many others that lived through the
blue screen of death, which they changed to the black screen of death,
which has now morphed to the endless message "windows is trying to
repair your computer" can agree that it is a poorly developed and
frustrating product <steps down from soapbox>.

I have 4 windows machines I need to keep running, and I swear I rebuild
one every year. I just finished a 8 hour "windows is repairing your
computer" that actually worked! It uninstalled a recent update that had
black screened my computer. Yes, I have "move to linux" on my list :)

I do hope the OP posts back and tells us that he is up and running :)

Jim