If I remember my college days correctly, capillary action only occurs at
the fluid/air interface.  If this is true, then only the size of the
tube would really matter.  However I'm not sure what, if any, effect the
higher pressure of the steam would have over the capillary action of the
liquid.  I would think off hand that it would more than counter it, and
the real problem with small sight glasses is the difficulty in seeing
the clear water in such a small but clear tube.