At 09:54 AM 5/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to everyone for your input and thoughts. I think Steve probably
nailed it. The entire water path has a direct effect.

  We still don't know that for sure, but for lack of better information we
can't go far wrong by assuming it to be the worst case condition.

>I've never had any problems with them, I just dislike them.

    You're entitled to your opinion, and I say that with absolutely no
sarcasm or criticism, but the compression type gauge has pretty much been
the standard for 100 years with no more problems than one would expect.
Both have their pro's and con's and both types use a ring of captive
flexible material to make the seal, they just make it in different ways.
The thing with the drawbar type gauge is that instead of two ends to seal
(the glass tube) you have four, the ends of the tube and the ends of
drawbar.  Actually, I prefer a variation which you would almost always find
in full size practice, which is compression nuts and rubber rings on the
glass and a pair of drawbars outside the glass connecting the upper and
lower fittings.  You could use this arrangement on your glass, keeping the
O-ring end seals, and eliminate potential problems with sealing the
drawbars ends.  All you'd have to do is machine or solder a set of "ears"
to the end fittings.

Cheers,
Harry