Hello Harry,

  I see your point. Both use the same materials, only in a different way. I
honestly don't know why I don't like the compression type fittings. They get
used in almost everything, not just steamers, and usually give no problem if
installed properly.
 The sight glass that I was talking about has two parallel drawbars running
along the outside of the glass. Very similar to what you described. They keep
the ends, containing the o-rings, pulled tight to one another with the sight
glass trapped between them. The end fitting is basically a cup that has the
o-rings inside to seal against the ends of the glass. In this configuration,
the drawbars would not need to be sealed. I think we're talking about very
similar designs, if not the same thing. If I'm wrong let me know because I
would like to explore my possibilities before I get too much further along on
this project. Thanks.

Later,
Trent