Well, basically, it's two problems: The spam of popups when you log in and the delayed presence.
We've already found that there isn't a spam popup problem if your client implements long established protocols (jabber:x:delay) correctly.
The real problem with the presence flood is that they come for about 5 minutes for me. It's like there's one wave of available presences every 30 seconds. This is kind of annoying if you just connect to see if somebody is online and don't know "Hm, is that person offline or haven't I just received the presence yet?"

I know that this is also an implementation issue, maybe more of an implementation issue than a protocol issue. But having a protocol that sends all initial presences at once would do two things:

1.) Force server developers to cache.
2.) You know when you got all presences and then definitely know if somebody is online without waiting 10 minutes just in case you didn't get the initial presence yet.
Having your server cache the presence's isn't going to help you and will infact make things far worse in your case as it seems your server if its taking 10 minutes for some of the presence's to pop through is having serious connectivity issues with the other servers in question and no amount of caching is going to solve that problem, caching is going to make the situation far worse for you as even if you receive that initial presence saying the other contact is online if its taking stanzas 10 minutes to come through then even if your contact logged off 8 minutes ago your server and now you are going to think they are online when they arn't.

I would suggest you get the underlying connectivity issues resolved before even thinking about protocol changes that could infact just make the whole situation worse.

Rich