I am, but that isn't the problem, as the connection is hardly at 100% use. There's only little traffic. All other services are not affected when I sign in, so this isn't the problem, as they would suffer from insufficent bandwidth as well if it's the ejabberd eating all the bandwidth.
Just because a connection isn't being used 100% doesnt mean you wont have problems all sorts of networking issues come into play, i.e. the amount of connections you are opening in quick succession (some OS's, routers and ISPs have rate limits), are you running any P2P clients over the same connection? (these can cause problems because of the sheer amount of connections they open), just the asynchronous nature of ADSL on its own can cause issues, ADSL can have serious contention issues especially if you are using one of the cheapo home accounts (i.e. in the UK that would be people like TalkTalk and Tiscali).

Have you tried running the server from an alternate location? so you can be sure its not your connection, that would be the first thing I would try when faced with your setup.

Well, it's definitely not that I'm the only one having this problem. I've heard it from others who have a small server as well. IIRC, they were mostly running ejabberd.

Well it does sound like either a connection/bandwidth issue or a bug in ejabberd then, just because other people are having the same issue doesn't necessarily mean it isn't something to do with your setup, rather than protocol.

Rich