On Jul 16, 2009, at 04:51, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

Am 16.07.2009 um 12:08 schrieb Richard Dobson:

Those are not really network issues, but protocol issues: When I sign in, about 50 s2s connections need to be opened - and TLS needs to be negotiated on a lot of them. As my TLS key is 4096 bits RSA, this can take quite a while. IMO this is a protocol problem, because s2s links are clossed to fast. Instead, they should be kept open and presences cached. This would really solve the issue. It does not take 10 minutes for a stanza to get through, but 5 minutes until all s2s links are opened and all presences probed.

--
Jonathan

Those aren't protocol issues, but server configuration or implementation issues. There's nothing in the RFCs that says servers MUST drop connections immediately after sending whatever is in the queue.

For example, my server connects to about 30 other domains and keeps those connections open for at least 8 hours.

--
Matthew A. Miller
linuxw...@outer-planes.net