On 8/9/11 8:01 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 9 August 2011 20:19, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:

>>> I'm not convinced I see any of the use-cases except for 4, which I
>>> think would be very useful :)
>>>
>>> Keen to see a spec, which might enlighten me as to the others.
>>
>> Yes, spec to follow.
>>
>> I know that Openfire used to have automated integration with Asterisk so
>> that if you accepted a voice call, your presence would automatically
>> change to "On the Phone". On the WebEx team we do something similar,
>> although the magic string is "In a WebEx Meeting". I don't know if any
>> voice and video clients currently do something similar, but the Jitsi
>> team was keen on this a while back for their Jingle integration. I've
>> heard of use cases for "engaged IRL" but I will seek out the people who
>> pinged me about it to double-check.
>>

> That makes perfect sense, but I guess my mental block is... isn't that
> what PEP is for?

I can't think of anything more appropriate for presence than
communication context. As RFC 6121 says:

   Any extended content included in a presence stanza SHOULD represent
   aspects of an entity's availability for communication or provide
   information about communication-related capabilities.

To my mind, PEP is for everything else -- tunes, activities, location,
and other things that change more or less frequently than presence itself.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/