On Wed Aug 10 03:01:20 2011, Matthew Wild wrote:
That makes perfect sense, but I guess my mental block is... isn't that
what PEP is for?

+1

You're not engaged in a meeting on one client, but not on another, so I don't see the benefit of a <presence/> stanza indicator here.

Whereas #4 is more "this /is/ my presence, but technically I don't
have a connection to my server". That's more a protocol thing.

+1

There's at least three cases, actually:

1) XEP-0198 disconnected (or BOSH in some cases).

2) S2S link failure.

3) Cluster partition.

In all three cases, we don't really know what the presence *is*, but we do know what we last knew it to be.

In the first case (and the third, for local users), there's also an expectation that it doesn't matter as much - the server can store messages as offline or whatever. In the S2S case, though, that expectation is probably unreasonable.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/