On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 04:34:12 AM Sergey Dobrov wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 09:14 AM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > The basic solve for item retraction is for the server to keep deletion
> > markers around.  For example the server could clear all content of an
> > item and flag it as deleted, but keep it in the same position in the
> > item list.  This way retracted items can be reported in iq responses.
>
> That would not work because it is equal to the item update with the
> blank payload but how could you know that the item was updated?

I'm still unsure what you're saying but I'll try to guess: do you mean to say
that you cannot determine the difference between a publish vs update, unless
you have a local copy of the item to compare with?  If so, I have found that
in many situations this does not actually matter.  Can you share a use case?

> From my point of view, the best solution is node journal but I can't be
> sure since that idea was not discussed.

True.  I am trying to avoid this if possible.  My stance is there is nothing
wrong with using a journal to implement pubsub, but ideally pubsub-using
protocols should not be so complex that they require a journal-based
implementation to participate.

Justin