On 08/25/2011 03:36 AM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 03:34:27 AM Sergey Dobrov wrote:

>>> I'm still unsure what you're saying but I'll try to guess: do you mean to
>>> say that you cannot determine the difference between a publish vs
>>> update, unless you have a local copy of the item to compare with?  If
>>> so, I have found that in many situations this does not actually matter.
>>> Can you share a use case?
>>
>> No, I tell you that even if I will be able to receive items according to
>> the publish time then I can't find if some items was updated before that
>> time. But if it's by modify time then yes, all seems to be ok except of
>> retract.
>
> Yes, if tracking changes is needed then the node should have a way of
> offering
> items ordered by modified time.
>
> Being able to query for items using different kinds of orderings would be
> useful though, so I didn't want to stipulate that pubsub with RSM must always
> be ordered by modified time.  Rather, each node would have some sort of
> natural
> ordering depending on intended purpose, and if we want the client to be able
> to select among multiple orderings offered by a node then that would be a
> separate extension or scheme.
Yes, it's sounds ok but what with retracts again? And how I can
understand if I missed something and should to re-request items from node?

> For example, my XEP-0303 proposes selecting ordering using special node name
> suffixing, such as "?order=-created" to indicate created time descending
> order.
> But this is just one way to go about it.
I don't have enough time to dive into XEP-303 enough but I don't think
that this is a good idea to use "dynamic" pubsub nodes without separate
XEP for it. Again, I don't think that different ordering is really need
at this time.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,