On 08/24/2011 01:38 AM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 04:34:12 AM Sergey Dobrov wrote:
>> On 08/23/2011 09:14 AM, Justin Karneges wrote:
>>> The basic solve for item retraction is for the server to keep deletion
>>> markers around.  For example the server could clear all content of an
>>> item and flag it as deleted, but keep it in the same position in the
>>> item list.  This way retracted items can be reported in iq responses.
>>
>> That would not work because it is equal to the item update with the
>> blank payload but how could you know that the item was updated?
>
> I'm still unsure what you're saying but I'll try to guess: do you mean to say
> that you cannot determine the difference between a publish vs update, unless
> you have a local copy of the item to compare with?  If so, I have found that
> in many situations this does not actually matter.  Can you share a use case?
No, I tell you that even if I will be able to receive items according to
the publish time then I can't find if some items was updated before that
time. But if it's by modify time then yes, all seems to be ok except of
retract.

>> From my point of view, the best solution is node journal but I can't be
>> sure since that idea was not discussed.
>
> True.  I am trying to avoid this if possible.  My stance is there is nothing
> wrong with using a journal to implement pubsub, but ideally pubsub-using
> protocols should not be so complex that they require a journal-based
> implementation to participate.
I don't insist on journal, I just need a reliable way to retrieve node
changes and I can't think up another way.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,