On Dec 9, 2011, at 03:55, Ralph Meijer wrote:

> On 2011-08-12 11:33 , Mike Wacker wrote:
> > [..]
> >
>> So the main takeaway, if I understand this correctly, would be that if
>> even the schema implies an order, I shouldn't assume any particular
>> order unless the RFC or XEP explicitly calls it out.
>
> Yeah, that sounds right. Expecting stuff in a particular order makes
> processing unreasonably more difficult, especially since there is the
> expectation that you can ignore everything you don't understand.
>
>> As another example, for RFC 6120, the client namespace in A.5 implies
>> come in any order for presence stanzas, all extended content must come
>> after all "normal" content. But unless RFC 6120 specifically calls out
>> that ordering constraint (and it doesn't as far as I can tell), the
>> server should be able to handle, for example:
>>
>> <show>xa</show><c
>> xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'...><status>Vacation!</status>
>
> Indeed, those elements could be in any order.
>
> From the top of my head, the only specification that I know to rely on a
> specific order is Publish Subscribe (XEP-0060), for the create/configure and
> subscribe/options combination. This is written out explicitly in the prose. I
> didn't enjoy implementing that in Wokkel. In retrospect it would have been so
> much easier to have those data forms be a child element of the create and
> subscribe elements respectively.

I think XEP-0004 also says something about the order of elements (as in,
maintain the order of <field/>s and <item/>s as they were received).

I'd like to point out that all of our XML Schemas are non-normative.  They're
provided for informational use, and ought not be considered the absolute record
of authority.

- m&m
<http://goo.gl/LK55L>