Hi Dave,

Over the time I have gotten the impression that an XML schema is really a waste
of time. It creates the illusion that there is something that provides help (to
implementers and to those who read the specification) but in reality it
doesn't.

Working on different specifications I later thought that the problem is with
the readability and extensibility of the XML schema and then we switched to
Relax NG in some IETF working groups. That turned to be a mistake as well. When
it comes to extensibility a Relax NG schema is equally bad.

The extensibility mechanism of XML would prevent you from getting any
meaningful validation anyway. So, validation isn't useful because more or less
everything validates (after you add the extension points everywhere).

So, I believe we are doing fine without XML schema but with lots of examples.
Implementers just look at examples.

Maybe you could therefore recommend not to use XML schemas (or Relax NG
schemas).

Ciao
Hannes