> On 5/23/12 1:28 AM, Sergey Dobrov wrote:
>> On 05/23/2012 03:24 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>>
>>> But I certainly might want to receive the last published item whenever I
>>> log in. This too seems like a setting that a dedicated microblogging
>>> service would tune in their configuration.
>>>

>> Yes, it reasonable thing but do you think we should think about user
>> subscription preferences more deeply?
>
> Yes, but I doubt that we could say definitively that the configuration
> MUST or SHOULD be X for all users.

I think we can use caps for it someway. (i.e. user's resource can define
notification behavior by setting features like +notify: +send-retracts,
+send-last, etc)

>>> We usually try to avoid magic values. :)
>>>

>> It's a good position and perhaps it's good enough for pubsub nodes but
>> think about comments nodes:
>>
>> 1) extra node can lead to nodes names conflicts easier (again we need
>> some magic value to construct new node name)
>> 2) it's harder to clean up: to delete post from blog you will need three
>> retracts which can't be done atomic.
>
> Yes, I see your point. I don't see a good solution right now, but I will
> think about it some more.

Can we just add a definition of "magic" item (attached or persistent
item) in XEP-60 and make, possibly, some special query to set/get that
item? I think, that could solve all our problems with data sparsity. At
the other hand, it will be easy to move from the item="0" to such magic
item solution and we will be able to move ahead with software
implementation until new standards will be released.

Another way is to use nodes collections but it seems to more more
complex. For now, XEP-277 is too complicated for clients implementation,
I think, and I'm trying to do it easier.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,